Release of HDF5 1.8.21 – Newsletter #161
The HDF5 1.8.21 release is now available, and can be accessed from both the HDF5 download page and Support Portal:
- HDF5 Download page: https://www.hdfgroup.org/downloads/hdf5/
- Support Portal: https://portal.hdfgroup.org/display/support/HDF5+1.8.21
HDF5 1.8.21 is a minor release with a few new features and changes. Important changes include:
- The following vulnerability issues were addressed:
- CVE-2017-17505 https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2017-17505
- CVE-2017-17506 https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2017-17506
- CVE-2017-17508 https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2017-17508
- CVE-2017-17509 https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2017-17509
- Several changes were made to CMake:
- The minimum version of CMake changed to 3.10.
- pkg-config file generation was added for the C, C++, HL, and HL C++ libraries.
- The h5cc and similar compile scripts are now created when building on Linux.
- Many C++ APIs were added or modified to better reflect the HDF5 model.
- Several tools bugs were fixed (in h5repack, h5dump, and h5diff).
This release contains many other changes that are not listed here. Please be sure to read the Release Notes for a comprehensive list of new features and changes.
Changes that affect maintainers of HDF5-dependent applications are listed on the HDF5 Software Changes from Release to Release page.
Future of HDF5 1.8
Please be aware that this is one of the last releases for HDF5 1.8. We encourage users to move to HDF5 1.10, particularly after HDF5 1.10.3 is released later this year. All major changes for HDF5 1.10 are in HDF5 1.10.2 and HDF5 1.10.3 will include performance improvements for several of the new features.