Release of HDF5-1.10.2 – Newsletter #160
- Release of HDF5-1.10.2
Release of HDF5-1.10.2
The HDF5-1.10.2 release is now available for download from: https://www.hdfgroup.org/downloads/hdf5/
The source code (only) can also be obtained from: https://portal.hdfgroup.org/display/support/HDF5+1.10.2
User documentation for HDF5-1.10 can be accessed here: https://portal.hdfgroup.org/display/HDF5/
This release contains several major new features and changes, including the following:
- Parallel HDF5 includes several improvements:
- Compressed datasets can now be written using the MPI I/O driver.
- Optimizations were added to improve performance of the HDF5 parallel open/close/flush operations.
- MPI I/O transfers now allow reading or writing of more than 2GB of data in a single I/O operation.
- The following vulnerabilities were addressed:
- CVE-2017-17505: https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2017-17505
- CVE-2017-17506: https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2017-17506
- CVE-2017-17508: https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2017-17508
- CVE-2017-17509: https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2017-17509
- The following changes were added to the HDF5 library:
H5F_LIBVER_V18parameter can now be specified in the
H5Pset_libver_bounds()function to provide control over object creation and ensure that files are fully compatible with HDF5-1.8.In addition,
H5_LIBVER_LATESTis now set to
H5F_LIBVER_V110. Please note that any applications that call
H5Pset_libver_boundsto specify the latest file format will use HDF5-1.10 as the latest file format as of this release. (However, the
h5format_convertutility can be used to change the file format version, if need be.)
- The issue has been addressed where the path to VDS source files was interpreted (incorrectly) as relative to the directory where the executable ran (HDFFV-9724). The location of the source files can now be set with a function call or with an environment variable. For details, see H5Pset_virtual, and the new APIs H5Pset_virtual_prefix and H5Pget_virtual_prefix.
H5Dget_chunk_storage_sizefunctions were added to enable and support reading a raw data chunk directly from a dataset in a file into a buffer.
H5Fincrement_filesizefunctions were added for retrieving and setting a file’s EOA/EOF. New options were also added to
h5clearto do the same:
-- filesizePrint the file’s EOA and EOF
-- increment=CSet the file’s EOA to the maximum of (EOA, EOF) + C for the file
H5FDdriver_queryfunction was added to query a VFL driver for its feature flags when a file is not available.
- Several changes to CMake were added:
- The minimum CMake version required was changed to 3.10.
- pkg-config file generation was added.
- The creation of h5cc and similar compile scripts in builds was added for Linux.
- C++ API wrappers and classes were added for link operations.
- Several Java wrappers were added.
There are many other changes not listed here. Please see the release notes for details: https://portal.hdfgroup.org/display/support/HDF5+1.10.2
Also refer to the HDF5 Software Changes from Release to Release for HDF5-1.10: https://portal.hdfgroup.org/display/HDF5/Software+Changes+from+Release+to+Release+for+HDF5-1.10
Future Changes to Supported Compilers and Platforms
Please be aware that after this release, we will be dropping support for VS 2013 and adding support for VS 2017.