Announcing HDF5 1.10.0
We are excited and pleased to announce HDF5-1.10.0, the most powerful version of our flagship software ever.>
This major new release of HDF5 is more powerful than ever before and packed with new capabilities that address important data challenges faced by our user community.
HDF5 1.10.0 contains many important new features and changes, including those listed below. The features marked with * use new extensions to the HDF5 file format.
- The Single-Writer / Multiple-Reader or SWMR feature enables users to read data while concurrently writing it. *
- The virtual dataset (VDS) feature enables users to access data in a collection of HDF5 files as a single HDF5 dataset and to use the HDF5 APIs to work with that dataset. * (NOTE: There is a known issue with the h5repack utility when using it to modify the layout of a VDS. We understand the issue and are working on a patch for it.)
- New indexing structures for chunked datasets were added to support SWMR and to optimize performance. *
- Persistent free file space can now be managed and tracked for better performance. *
- The HDF5 Collective Metadata I/O feature has been added to improve performance when reading and writing data collectively with Parallel HDF5.
- The Java HDF5 JNI has been integrated into HDF5.
- Changes were made in how autotools handles large file support.
- New options for the storage and filtering of partial edge chunks have been added for performance tuning.*
* Files created with these new extensions will not be readable by applications based on the HDF5-1.8 library.
We would like to thank you, our user community, for your support, and your input and feedback which helped shape this important release.
The HDF Group
Solutions to Data Challenges
Please refer to the following document which describes the new features in this release: https://support.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/docNewFeatures/
All new and modified APIs are listed in detail in the “HDF5 Software Changes from Release to Release” document: https://support.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/doc/ADGuide/Changes.html
For detailed information regarding this release see the release notes: https://support.hdfgroup.org/ftp/HDF5/releases/hdf5-1.10/hdf5-1.10.0/src/hdf5-1.10.0-RELEASE.txt
For questions regarding these or other HDF issues, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Links to the HDF5 1.10.0 source code, documentation, and additional materials can be found on the HDF5 web page at: https://support.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/
The HDF5 1.10.0 release can be obtained directly from: https://support.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/release/obtain5110.html
User documentation for 1.10.0 can be accessed from: https://support.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/doc/