The HDF Group provides a unique suite of technologies and supporting services that facilitate the management of large and complex data collections. Our mission is to develop technologies that provide rapid, easy and permanent access to complex data. Our vision is to simplify management and access to scientific and engineering data with ubiquitous data solutions.
The HDF Group is a non-profit 501(c)3 spinoff from the University of Illinois, where it developed HDF technologies at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications from 1988-2006.
HDF technologies are used in virtually every industry and scientific domain to meet mission critical data management needs. Examples of the uses of HDF technologies include understanding global climate change, special effects in film production, flight testing, weather prediction, viewing medical images, analyzing DNA, designing vehicles, simulating thermonuclear explosions in space, and volcanology.
Executive Director Job summary
This role is responsible for developing and executing a strategy for long-term sustainability in alignment with our vision and mission, providing the day-to-day leadership of the company, and maximizing the organization’s impact and value in the community it serves. The Executive Director has full responsibility for the operations of the company, its financial performance, and development of programs and alliances that continue to deliver tangible value to its customers. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors for The HDF Group.
Essential job functions and key responsibilities
- Provide quarterly updates to The HDF Board of Directors on the roadmap and progress in alignment with our mission and adhering to the principles outlined in our value statement
- Assess the company’s technology assets, consulting capabilities and markets served in order to create, develop and execute a strategy for maximizing the organization’s impact, and value. Identify and implement new ideas and programs that further the company mission.
- Define and prioritize areas in which the company can both successfully serve the needs of the growing data universe and assure sustainability for the company and develop plans to leverage the company’s capabilities to achieve those objectives.
- Develop, nurture, and grow meaningful and valuable strategic relationships including user groups, customers, partners, and academic and research organizations that raise awareness in the community and maintain and drive new business
- Develop an operating plan and financial budget that support the company’s long-term strategy and its mission and leads to sustainability
- Work closely with the company’s leadership to ensure appropriate internal controls, forecasting, budgeting, and reporting procedures are in place.
- Lead technology management and marketing to ensure that roadmaps and initiatives are aligned to anticipated customer and community needs and that the company’s resulting development roadmap aligns with the company’s mission.
- Instill and lead a process of continuous improvement of the company’s people, processes, culture, and systems.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required
- Technical acumen with a demonstrated ability to understand new technologies and learn how they are best applied.
- Experience building alliances.
- Experience taking advanced technologies from development phase to successful introduction and use by customers.
- Ability to develop and implement a comprehensive enterprise strategy for a software platform and related services.
- Ability to articulate the value proposition of enterprise-grade software and services to customers in new industries.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities preferred
- Prior experience as an Executive Director for a scientific or technical product.
- Experience in a non-profit organization.
- Education or experience in science or engineering field.
- Experience in the monetization of open source software and/or “big data” ecosystems.
- Sales management and/or marketing leadership experience with experience in product and services management.
- Demonstrated ability to bring together stakeholders with diverse perspectives while instilling a collaborative mindset.
The HDF Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong commitment to diversity. In keeping with that commitment, individuals with disabilities, minorities, females, and veterans are encouraged to apply. For additional information about The HDF Group and who we are and what we believe in visit our website at www.hdfgroup.org.
To ensure full consideration, please submit a resume and cover letter to ExecutiveDirectorSearch@hdfgroup.org. This position is open until filled.